The Deep Listener
Jakob Kudsk Steensen
Serpentine Augmented Architecture in collaboration with
Google Arts & Culture and Sir David Adjaye OBE
To download The Deep Listener app for iOS
and Android mobile devices tap the links below
If onsite at the Serpentine, for Wifi, use Serpentine PUBLIC
- The Deep Listener is an audiovisual experience, and headphones are recommended. Before you open the app, if you don't have headphones make sure you have your sound turned on.
- On opening The Deep Listener app, use its map to walk to the first AR experience: the London Plane Tree, marked by a new sculpture by Steensen.
- When you have arrived at the correct location to trigger the AR, the orb marking the plane tree on screen will glow. Touch the orb to begin.
- Once you have launched the AR experience, use your phone to see and hear the species. As you move, you will notice a change in sound and tempo; the species’ soundscape will slow or speed up in response to your unique movement. Tap the information button to find out more about each species.
- Use the map to walk between all five AR experiences spread across Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. Each experience is only viewable in its specific location. When you arrive at each location, the orb will glow signalling it is possible to trigger the AR.
If you are away from the Serpentine Gallery and the park you can use the map and see a smaller specimen of each AR species. Touch the orbs on the map to find out more about each species then see and hear them in augmented reality.
*iOS: supported on iPhone 6s and above. Android: requires ARCore support and Android 8.0 or later.